Sunday, July 15, 2012

yogi_Count Instances Of Specified Words Based On Multiple Conditions Within Strings Of Text in A Column

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.       Google Spreadsheet    Post  #631   Jul 15, 2012

user Swanson said:
How do I use a countifs equivalent utilizing a partial cell content? 
Hi all,
I have been able to successfully use countifs substitutes by utilizing many solutions already posted on this forum but have run into a unique challenge I am hoping somebody can help with. Here is my issue:
I have been using regular countif formulas to count the number of cells that contain certain words within them by utilizing a look for like "*other*" or whatever the word may be. Now, what I need to do is use a countifs substitute that will allow me to look for parts of a cell. 
This is an example of a countifs substitute I have used in another situation but it does not seem to work if instead of "yes", I utilize "*yes*" because the cells would also contain other words in it.
C13>0,(Sumproduct(('Student Data'!BU:BU="Fall")*('Student Data'!L:L="yes"))+index(0;1)
Is there any type of formula that will allow me to account for partial cell contents?

Below is the link to the file.

Let me know if that doesn't work. Thanks!
following is a solution to the problem