Thursday, April 28, 2011

yogi_Setup Simple Calculated Column In A Spreadsheet

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                  
prosper2000usa said:
Never been good with spreadsheets.
Simple thing I can't figure. Want my spreadsheet to have a single table something like this
A: Job Name
B: Hours to Complete
C: Pay
D: Pay per Hour
Where A-C I will enter into the spreadsheet, but D I want to be a calculated column, something simple like =DIVIDE(C,B). Where do I enter the forumula and in what syntax so that it calculates automatically for each row as it is entered? I can add the formula in the first data row as DIVIDE(C1, B1), but that does nothing for subsequent rows that will be entered.

Well prosper2000usa, see the setup in Sheet1 for what you want to do ... as you add data in columns A,B, and C starting with row 2 down, computed value in column D is automatically calculated.