Thursday, April 21, 2011

yogi_Create A Data Table Which Only Filters On Certain Columns

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com

darrenmwinter said ...
I have a table with lots of data containing feedback on projects. My spreadsheet has 10 columns. I can use a data table to query the data, but ideally I only want to filter by certain columns
What I'd like to do is have something like a data table, so I can (for example) filter everything out for project 10_025 (column B) and see everything from each row where the contents of column B is 10_025. And then to refine those results so I can see (for example) all the comments about project 10_025 that were left by Daniel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The original data to be filtered is shown in Sheet1



I duplicated data from Sheet1 in the sheet named yogi_FilterColBColI and then  invoked the newly added Filter feature in Google spreadsheet ... so

1) in yogi_FilterColBColI, I clicked on the Filter icon the one on the extreme right icon under the MenuBar
2) then I clicked on the dropDown arrow in column B ... and in the Filter box I unchecked every thing else
    so only 10_025 remained and clicked on OK 
3) then I clicked on the dropDown arrow in column I ... and in the Filter box I unchecked every thing else 
    so only Daniel remained
then
what I get is the Table from data in Sheet1 that has been Filtered for ... 10_025 in column B and Daniel in column I as shown in the following image that I have reproduced from sheet yogi_FilterColBColI








No comments:

Post a Comment