Tuesday, April 19, 2011

yogi_Populate One Dropdown List From A Second

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com

Stoickk said:
I am trying to find a way to populate a dropdown list based on the selection from a second dropdown list. Short version, my spreadsheet is used for tracking personnel in an organization. When personnel are assigned to a unit via dropdown list, I would like to be able to assign them to a sub-unit based on the first unit that was selected. Is this possible with google docs?
Basically, if I select Alpha Company (Sheet2, cell A2) from the dropdown in Column C, I want a dropdown list in Column B to be populated with the three subunit names from Sheet2, cells B2, C2, and D2. I want the same thing to happen if I select Bravo Company or Charlie Company, with the dropdown list in Column B changing based on the selection in Column C.

Well, I think it is best explained by looking at yogi_Sheet1