Saturday, April 16, 2011

yogi_Retrieve Info From Form Input Into Multiple Rows of SheetA Into One Row Of Sheet B


Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com

eamonm asked:

The ultimate objective is to post an assignment from multiple teachers on the web so students can see what the home work is. The way I thought of doing this is to have a form that teachers enter their information in, the form is very basic - their name, description of assignment.

The spreadsheet form the form looks something like (this is Sheet1):






Here is my design logic - if may not be the most direct so if there is a better solution I'm open to it.

1. Each day the teachers use the form to enter more assignments, so there would be 4 rows inserted each day Monday through Friday.

2. In the spreadsheet I create an additional sheet called Intermediate that has the following columns:








I populate the CurrentDate manually myself from 04-18-11 to the end of the year (this has only Monday through Friday dates). My thinking is that I use a formula in Intermediate that takes CurrentDate and gets information from Sheet1 to populate Intermediate.

Where I'm stuck is with getting the four rows of data from Sheet1 into one row in Intermediate. Logically I think I would do something like the following formula from Intermediate:

Each teacher name column would have a lookup formula that would use the manually entered date CurrentDate to lookup information from Sheet1. The resulting data from the above example would look like:





The Post column would have a formula that compares the system date (true current date) to the date in column CurrentDate. If system date is equal or greater than CurrentDate then Post column = "Y".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




4 comments:

  1. Help! See my google spreadsheet at http://bit.ly/kqJDhx -

    I'm trying to merge the color-coded multiple rows into one based on the data in fields A=Email, X=User Defined, and Y=Full Name. I color-coded these rows to identify the duplicates using an Excel Add-in.

    Right now I'm merging the data into one row by cut-and-paste. I've got over 28,800 rows to go through.

    I'm particularly interested in maintaining the integrity of fields A, X, and Y while moving the data from AE thru AP into one row of data.

    I don't fully understand the syntax of your Google Docs code, but Excel doesn't seem to have anything to offer. I saw your post on SuperUser.com and humbly ask for your assistance on this problem and perhaps links to useful Google spreadsheet formula syntax for dummies. I have some web programming background (CFML, SQL Queries), but not in VB or spreadsheet logic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura Lee Dooley:

    Thanks for your comment.
    I will be glad to look at your spreadsheet and see if I can help.
    I do suggest, however, you provide in your spreadsheet your expected result for some of your sample data ... so one can clearly see what you are trying to accomplish.

    Cheers!
    Yogi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Yogi,

    i have nearly a similar problem with multiple rows i want to assemble into one row per person.

    Indeed, when people fill in the google form, there are 2 steps.
    -1st people have to give their number (regimental ?), as a primary key
    -After a second question is redirecting people on another page of the form (there are 3 different parts in that form, first meeting, intermediate meeting, and final evaluation)

    The problem is that i collect 3 different rows in my spreadsheet for a unique worker...

    I'd like to assemble each of that three rows inte one unique to obtain a complete registration.

    If that's done, i can use pivot tables to make the numbers speak...

    So if you have a soluce, i take it with pleasure...

    Thanks.

    Lionel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lionel:

    I suggest you post your question in Google Docs Help forum and
    1) share your spreadsheet with some sample (but realistic) data
    2) tell us what you are trying to compute
    in which cell?
    of which sheet?
    3) show us what is your expected result
    along with needed logic/explanation as to why that is the correct result

    Cheers!
    Yogi

    ReplyDelete