Monday, April 9, 2012

yogi_Workaround For Countifs Function In Google Spreadsheet

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.       Google Spreadsheet    Post  #500    Apr 9, 2012

user JimP. said: 
Excel -> Docs "Countifs with Wildcards" Spreadsheet Dilemma 
 Banging my head against the CountIFs wall, and wondering if someone could pop in and help. Example Sheet here: I'm doing an inventory where I need to count the number of URLs that contain a specific URL fragment in Group X. 
In Excel, this was accomplished with: =COUNTIFS(B:B,"*",A:A,"Group 1") 
Count the number of URLs that contain "" that are also in "Group 1". 
I tried numerous versions of CountA, but I think the wildcard is screwing it up and making it always show "0" as a result. Can someone help with the right way to convert this? If done right, the correct answer is 5. Bonus Points if you can provide a formula that I can use in place of CountIfs in Excel that would accomplish this same task, because I would rather have it imported right than re-edit the problem cells every time. Thanks in advance, 
following is a solution to the problem