Wednesday, November 2, 2011

yogi_Make A Budget (Expense) List And Allocate Amounts To Associated Categories

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                  
user Kelemvor said:

So, I'm thinking about making a spreadsheet that I can use as a check register and budgeting tool.  I know there are some out there but I didn't see any that combined these two into one sheet.
My initial thought is that I will enter the information into the sheet (date, description, category, amount, etc).  I then want the spreadsheet to look at the value I chose for category.  It would then go find the column for that category and add the value of the amount box to the end of the list
Sample Spreadsheet:
In the above sample, I'd want the spreadsheet to automatically put 20 and 30 under clothing and 50 under gas as I type them in.  I know I can do this sort of thing in Excel with VBA but I'm not sure if Google Spreadsheets have the same sort of programming capability.


following is one solution to the problem