Friday, November 11, 2011

yogi_Highlight Rows That Have Duplicate Content In A Specified Column

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user Ryan-JaguarComm said:
Now I've got a new mission.
Make the sheet tell me if Duplicate data exists and if it does, highlight both entries in some way so it stands out.
That way we know if duplicate entries on devices are being made. 
Till building the structure of these Functions click, I'm going to have a heck of a time. 

Unfortunately I can't share the data. I can however try to better explain.
There is 8 columns of data. A-H
Row Data is to be kept together, each row is a form submitted entry.
The data is being collected from 4 different towns. Which leaves me currently with 5 sheets.
1 Master (Form Entry)
4 Cities sheets, simply pulling  filtered data from the master (as described above)
To take the Cities sheets a step further, I want to look at all the Filtered data, and have it highlight the cell, or the row of data based on data in one column that matches.  
ex: If Row 5 and row 7 have the same number in column D, show them both in red. Don't matter if its Colored Text or background as long as it stands out.

----------------------------------------------
In the following proposed solution to the problem, I highlight the duplicates by coloring the background of duplicated rows in an adjacent column