Friday, November 4, 2011

yogi_Compute In Rows Sum Of Data In Successive Columns

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user Kelemvor said:
So I tried to use the Continue command for this but wasn't having any luck,
I have some columns of data that I want to total up in a separate column.
So in Column A I have entries for C, D, E, F
In columns C - F I have numbers.
In column B I want to have the total for the columns so it'd look like this:
A, B, C, D, E
C, 10, 3, 9, 5
D, 15, 4, 3, 3
E, 12, 3, 3, 4
In Cell B1 I have =sum(c:c) which works fine.  I want to them fill in downward so that B2 would get =sum(d:d).  Problem is I'm dragging down and want it to increment the column going across.
Does that make sense?  Can I do this somehow?
----------------------------------

following are couple of arrayformulas for solution to the problem
in the first sheet I have considered a fixed number of coumns but an openended row range
in the second sheet I have considered an openended row range as well as an open ended column range

No comments:

Post a Comment