Friday, October 21, 2011

yogi_Search For An Item In A Column And Return Information From Specified Fields

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user Tret said:
Name search that returns that rows information.
A Couple things:
I am trying to figure out how to add a search function to my spreadsheet. I want to be able to type someones name into a search box and have it return all the information on that person. For example I have hundreds of names in Column B, I want to search for a name and have it show not only the name from column B but the rest of the information about them from columns C,D,E, etc. Here is a sample spreadsheet of what the information looks like.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao3KZ5KFVC26dHpxSkhhU2R3V2lydGNhX284WFdWZFE&hl=en_US
Also, is there any way to use the spreadsheet like a database and have a gadget populate the information searched. Similar to the Form that you can input information to but display it like a table. For example I search for someones name on the gadget and it references the spreadsheets information and then populates just that users results on the gadget/form. It would be really nice if this part was able to be published to a website like the input form can be.
Sorry if these questions were answered before, I tried searching for this but had no luck.
Update:
edit: I have tried the filter option, it kinda works. I get this error below when I try to filter an entire column. With my spreadsheet the amount of information is constantly growing and information grows past the filter and is then unsearchable. Also, that searching isn't what I'm looking for having to check and uncheck to see information is annoying.
Trying to apply filter to a region that conflicts with one or more tables. Please select a table or select a region that doesn't overlap any tables.
-----------------------------
In the following I am going to deal with Google spreadsheet solution:

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Unfortunately, the "Sheet2" is missing from your shared spreadsheet. May it be possible to "reshare" the entire spreadsheet?

    ReplyDelete