Monday, October 24, 2011

yogi_Create A Dependent List Of Items Based On A List Of Items In A DropDown List

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user Sathya Charana S.M. said:
If I compare with Microsoft Excel, we do NAME for the "Ranges Names" in Google Docs.
But when I am giving that particular "Range Names" at the time of using formula, I am getting error in formula.
Do you have any video to help to understand this issue or resolve this issue. I need to do a dropdown list which select from particular range of data as you have mentioned. But I am explaining it again below.
My selection would be like If I select "Fruit" from a dropdown list, it should show only fruits listed and if vegetables, it should show only vegetables and for Others, the others. May be my table of contents are like below.
Fruits
Orange
Grape
Apple
Mango
Vegetable
Onion
Tomato
Beans
Carrot
Others
Tamarind
Chilly
Salt
Pepper
Something like above will be my table.
please help me in this regard. You have already explained it. But I am unable to catch in that context. If you can give me editable file, I may understand, more. Because I need to see the Validation Window, what the options you have used. Even the Screenshots are ok for me.
-------------------------------
in the following is one solution to the problem