Thursday, October 20, 2011

yogi_Compute For Unique Names Totals By Specified Column

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user alter73 said:
I am working on spreadsheet which is a result of a publicated form, it looks simplified like this:
(A)PLAYER NAME (B)BEST TOTAL TIME (10+20)
(1) X 100
(2) Y 130
(3) Z 160
etc...
I can do a formula that filter only one distance and shows sorted list of players best times on this distance.
But I have no idea how to make a sorted list of players with total time (sum of results for distance 10 and 20). The best solution I know to have such a sorted list is "SORT" and "FILTER" formula but the biggest problem is how to also calculate this SUM of results in column C for every player.
This should be automatically working for larger data base with more players who provide their results using publicated form linked with this spreadsheet.
---------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Hi Yogi

    I think that's quite an interesting alternate way of using the function: MMULT. To be honest, I didn't know about this function before, and looking at the function-list, I had to study at what way it is used in this formula, which is not described in the function-list, at least not in the Dutch one. However, wouldn't it be easier, or at least shorter to use this formula?
    =arrayformula(if(E2:E="";;(SUMIF(A2:A;E2:E;C2:C))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marinus:

    Thanks for your comment.
    Of course there are several ways of solving a problem. I agree that the use of SUMIF function works very nicely in this case ... and I have added this as Sheet2_SUMIF.

    Cheers!
    Yogi

    ReplyDelete