Friday, August 5, 2011

yogi_Calculate Amount Spent In Specified Time Period By Item

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com

trimonth said:
how do I compute amount spent in specified time period by item?
I am kind of working on a budgeting thing. If I have a column of dates and a corresponding column of dollar amounts, can I analyze the numbers based on when they occurred? For example, how much did I spend on groceries in the Summer? Over the last 3 years, what is the average of my utility bills in the Winter? How much did I spend eating out in the first 3 months of the year?
I am hoping that once I see how to split up a date, like in terms of seasons, I can extend it out to answer more complex questions.
Again, there might be an answer out there in the forums somewhere, but I may not be searching for them as well as I could.
-----------------------------------------------------------
We can consider the time period in quarters ... you may want to consider ...
Quarter1 ... as Winter
Quarter2 ... as Spring
Quarter3 ... as Summer
Quarter4 ... as Fall