Monday, December 12, 2011

yogi_Handle Multiple Dependency Lists And Computations

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user Loki said:
I've been reading a couple of your posts on the above subject, and looking at the 'screenshot' embedded example(s):
http://yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com/2011/11/yogicreate-dependent-dropdown-list-of.html
http://yogi--anand-consulting.blogspot.com/2011/10/yogicreate-dependent-list-of-items.html
It's very interesting (I've never even used named ranges), and looks like it would solve my problem - but I'm not sure how to implement it from what I've read there.
I'm probably just being stupid. Would you mind looking at my spreadsheet? I've made it public:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkDJZNlbZvaCdEgtbXBjWVFYcXB1WFhvZi1WNThlTmc&hl=en_GB#gid=0
I want to have CATEGORIES on the COCKTAILS sheet which then affect subcategories, i.e. the available INGREDIENTS.
And I'd also like both data validated dropdown boxes here to be populated from the full details on the INGREDIENTS sheet.
Is this achievable using the method you posted? If so, help implementing it would be amazing! If not, any ideas?

------------------------------------------------
following is a solution to the problem:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Yogi, thanks so much for your help on this!

    In the 2nd explanation box do you mean 'cell C4' ?

    This looks like it's doing many awesome things, but for some reason I just can't get my head around it.

    What's actually going on?

    The aspect I'm mainly interested is functionality like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxBobxhGKFg

    Generated from a full ingredients list with headings like:

    CATEGORY | INGREDIENT | PRICE etc

    Is that what's going on here? Sorry for being so slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (by 'whats going on' I mean what is each formulae doing exactly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loki:

    Yes, in the 2nd explanation box, the reference indeed is to cell C4.
    I hope my proposed solution helps you.
    Good Luck With Your Project.

    Cheers!
    Yogi
    Cloud Computing -- Google Docs Way
    yogi--anand.consulting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete