Friday, December 30, 2011

yogi_Pull Most Recent Records Based On Unique Values In A Column

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                  
user lukeacaratan said:
use query function to pull most recent records based on unique column values.
I have a table (with data populated by a form) with three columns. Col A is the Timestamp, Col B is Location, Col C is a Unit Label.
I am trying to use the query function to pull certain records from a table. My goal is to create a report that only shows the most recent entry for each unique item listed in the Column C.
My first attempt (unsuccessfully) used a combination of Vlookups to pull the specific records. After doing some research, it seems like the query function might be a better fit for what i'm trying to accomploish.
After a couple days of trying on my own, gathering knowledge from the internet, in this forum and ones like it, I can't seem to input the correct SQL. I have made the spreadsheet public and shared it below in hopes that someone can help point me in the right direction.
Thanks you in advance for any help!
Chrome Browser on Mac Lion with Virtual XP machine, Desktop with XP or Windows 7
following is a solution to the problem