Friday, December 30, 2011

yogi_Pull Most Recent Records Based On Unique Values In A Column

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                            www.energyefficientbuild.com
user lukeacaratan said:
use query function to pull most recent records based on unique column values.
I have a table (with data populated by a form) with three columns. Col A is the Timestamp, Col B is Location, Col C is a Unit Label.
I am trying to use the query function to pull certain records from a table. My goal is to create a report that only shows the most recent entry for each unique item listed in the Column C.
My first attempt (unsuccessfully) used a combination of Vlookups to pull the specific records. After doing some research, it seems like the query function might be a better fit for what i'm trying to accomploish.
After a couple days of trying on my own, gathering knowledge from the internet, in this forum and ones like it, I can't seem to input the correct SQL. I have made the spreadsheet public and shared it below in hopes that someone can help point me in the right direction. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjejngD4Oi-vdG5SeUU4bUlJbWZ4X1BIRG9vZERJblE
Thanks you in advance for any help!
Luke
Chrome Browser on Mac Lion with Virtual XP machine, Desktop with XP or Windows 7
-----------------------------------------
following is a solution to the problem

No comments:

Post a Comment