Monday, September 5, 2011

yogi_Make Validation List Of A Cell Dependent On The Validation In Another Cell

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                  
WvdR said:
How do I make the validation list of one cell variable dependent on the validation in another cell
I'm using Google Docs Spreadsheet and have the following problem.
I'm trying to put together a logfile for my team in which I have 5 main categories and several subcategories of issues.
So for example:
A1: Categorie
A2: either job unfinished, job done, job delayed, job cancelled.
I used the 'validate data' function with a list to create a drop down menu.
B1: Cause (sub-categorie)
B2: depends on what I choose in A2. E.g. when I choose job unfinished, B2 should have a value of 'technical error, human error, deprioritised, other', whereas when A2 would have been 'job cancelled', B2 should have a value of 'customer's request, company's decision, other).
Right now my B2 cell has a drop down list consisting of all the different subcategories, but I would like to make the validation list dependent on my choice in A2.
If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! Thank you very much in advance, appreciate it a lot!
In my proposed solution, I have used Data Validation as well as Named Ranges as delineated in the spreadsheet