Monday, October 15, 2012

yogi_Compute The Numbers Of Meetings Attended By Person When New Meetings Added To The Right Of Column B

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.      Google Spreadsheet   Post  #808  Oct 14, 2012    www.energyefficientbuild.com.

user obstruction said: (http://productforums.google.com/forum/?zx=3rrg4qfnsz5v#!category-topic/docs/spreadsheets/Bq9hoEHRplI)
Hi!

I'm trying to figure out why this works:

=SUM(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2,7)),H2)

But this doesn't:

=SUM(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2,7)):H3)

It returns "Unknown range name H3)."

I'm trying to make a spreadsheet that will do a countif from the seventh column to the end, regardless of whether I add new columns to the beginning of the range (it's an attendance sheet for meetings, with names and other data on the far left side). Adding $ doesn't seem to make a difference - the formula I enter as:

=Countif($G3:3,1)

Will change automatically as soon as I add a new column at G to:

=Countif($H3:3,1)

Hoping that makes sense! Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to provide.
----
OK, thanks for the reply, Yogi!  

I have written the formula as =SUM(INDIRECT("G3:3")), and it does work as expected, but I want to be able to autofill the formula down a column.  I am trying to count the values in one row all the way to the right (I'm only using SUM as an easier test).  If I write =(INDIRECT("G3:YY")) and then autofill down the column, I will get "G3:3" in every row instead of "G3:3" in the first row, "G4:4" in the second row, etc.

Again, I appreciate the help!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
following is a solution to the problem in the spreadsheet link provided by user obstruction


No comments:

Post a Comment