Wednesday, June 1, 2011

yogi_Link Data In A Sheet With Data In Another Ignoring Rows Where Column A is Blank

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.                                         Google Spreadsheet                  
jonuanain said:
Update one sheet with data from another ignoring rows where column A is blank

I work in a restaurant and our electronic point of sale system spits out some rather inconveniently formatted reports. 
I paste the current reports into a sheet called ‘Raw Data’ where each column represents each day. I want to use that data to automatically update another sheet or spreadsheet with all rows ignored where column A is null. So for example:
Sheet 1 Sheet 2
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
8 9 10 11
Since a new column is added every day, I need Sheet 2 to be based on the whole of sheet 1.Any pointers in the right direction (if there is one) would be greatly appreciated

part view of  sheet named Raw data

In the following solution I have filtered the data from sheet named Raw data for non-blank rows in column A in sheet named Consolidated_1

jonuanain then wanted the filtered data to have the dates in row 1 of Raw data to be offset by 1 because the Raw data sheet shows the sales for the previous day --
I don't know why the dates should be offset by 1 day ... in any event I have presented a solution for that in sheet Consolidated_2